Navarre Beach

July 1, 2007

My mom's family has an annual beach trip. This past week marked our 37th year at Navarre Beach. It was as always a wild and wonderful week. My mom is the oldest of nine children which means our beach gatherings are big. There are moments of complete chaos, loud laughter, crazy card games, and cajun dancing. But just like the ocean there are times of quiet and calm...puzzlemaking, book reading (no tv time allowed),shell hunting, late night talks, and early morning coffee/tea on the porch. Navarre Beach is one of my favorite places in the whole world. The surroundings are breathtaking, the sunsets are beautiful, but most importantly it is a place that will always connect me to my family. We spend the week re-telling family stories, creating new Florida stories and getting to know each other in a more intense way. Recognizing how much we have changed and also how much we remain the same. A strange duality that comes from spending time with the people who have known you the longest. Celebrating the beach, celebrating each other, celebrating the importance of family traditions. Watching Noah and Camille take part in this beach tradition makes me happy. I hope it continues for many generations.


The Solley Six said...

can i just BE one of your cousins? just tell me what to do and i'll submit my application, or i could just create my own family of 9 siblings... but that might take a while. That is SOOOOO lovely. Family traditions....ahhh.

Jessica said...

I couldn't agree more--adopt me! My family is so LAME by comparison. It's been three years since my parents, brother and I were in the same place at the same time. Before that it had been TEN years! I'm very jealous of your family traditions and togetherness.

Amy, Ryan, Aidan and Lauren said...

Wonderful pictures and great descriptions of your special family times! Very cool.

Anonymous said...

Hi!
My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blog posts about Navarre Beach to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you :)
Jane

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.