Passover

April 9, 2009

It turns out Passover is the ultimate six year old boy's holiday. With all of our recent trips, friends out of town, and my recent state of mind/heart, I thought we might just skip doing a Seder this year. Luckily, I have a very enthusiastic and creative son who motivated us to have one of the most enjoyable Seders ever. Noah brainstormed and gathered items representing all ten of the plagues. He spent most of the afternoon assembling them into a very unique centerpiece. My favorite parts: the big jugs of blood (water with red dye), the hail (rice), boils (band-aids),and darkness (sunglasses). The Passover story is full of adventure, drama,hardship, destruction, recovery, bad guys, heroes....all the things Noah is drawn to lately and he can't seem to hear the story enough. We have been reading several different versions of the story which made for a very lively re-telling around the table tonight. We usually have guests around our Seder table but I have to admit that there was something very special about tonight's Seder. We didn't spend weeks getting ready or do any big shopping trips. We scrounged around and used what we had. Our little family of four seated around a table covered with wild animals and "blood" eating food of symbolic and historical/cultural importance...looking back at a very challenging year in our own lives, looking forward to new adventures, and trying not to let the tiger or the dinosaur get our matzo ball soup. A perfect Passover thanks to my favorite six year old boy.
Lynnie said...

Wow! He really did an amazing job! That sure is a lot of blood, very realistic! And the wild animals do look pretty wild!

Laureen said...

LaureenBurke
Wow. As always, I am amazed at the depth with which you and your family embrace life. I just love seeing the creativity and simplicity that you live in.

Tisra said...

What an awesome life lesson- right from a 6 year old! I sometimes don't even attempt something because I know it won't be like I hoped due to alck of time, or money or some other thing. But, here, he seized the moment and- as you said- it was the best because it didn't require all the work, just the enjoyment. Well done!

Victoria Wallop said...

I love how children get to the essence of things. Can you recommend a good passover story book? My grandmother was Jewish, but I'm not (long story) and I'd love to learn a little more about this side of my family with my children.

Laura Myszne said...

Awesome! Loved it! The best Seder!
Hag Sameah! חג שמח!

Jill said...

Noah is a great child and has an impressive mind, but remember who/where he came from!! You and Adam are incredible parents and have given/instilled these incredible traits in him. You and Adam should be proud and I applaud you both!!

Cami said...

6-year-olds make almost EVERY holiday better. Awesome.

craftymama said...

sounds lovely!!

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.