Travel Photo Friday: Guam and Japan

March 13, 2009

Happy to report our visit to the passport office went smoothly this morning and none of my children licked the passport agent's chest. As we were waiting, I flipped through Noah's passport and we looked at all of the stamps from the places we had been during our three years in Asia. It made me feel both nostalgic and excited. Since I started this blog towards the end of our time in Japan, I thought I would participate in travel photo fridays as a way to re-live/record/and maintain my enthusiasm for travel. I am hoping that seeing old photos of previous travels will be a happy motivator when I am up to my elbows in packing and pulling my hair out while trying to rent/sell our house. A reminder of why we want to move overseas again.

So these photos are from our first big trip after moving to Okinawa. Noah was six months old. We spent Thanksgiving week in Guam with friends who were stationed there. It was a fun week. Beautiful sunsets from their waterfront condo. Snorkeling. Lots of good food and visiting. We then flew from Guam to mainland Japan. We headed to the small town of Amagi (Fukuoka-prefecture) where I had been an English teacher ten years earlier. It was wonderful to re-connect with friends and nice to discover so many things had remained the same. Noah especially loved our visit to the high school where he charmed all of the giggling girls. We learned a lot during that first big trip: pack less, don't bring a stroller AND a backpack (after the trip we ended up ordering this which worked well for other Asian adventures), always take naps, slow down, try new foods, and most importantly travel with kids is possible.

If you want to join in the travel photo fun, visit Delicious Baby.
South of Rome said...

Lucia, I am floored that I posted about Home Food today and then click over to Delicious Baby and see her post about Home Food Rome! haha. What a small world. I'm hoping my Neapolitan experience is just as nice as her Roman one.

Happy packing! K

Gemelli in Sicilia said...

Oh, thanks for posting a photo of my old home, Guam! I am excited for you to be in that other place I love, Sicily...

babies said...

you are so brave to travel with your baby. that should inspire me! but i make all sorts of excuses even for going only to the sea-side... i really have to check your archives for some kick in my ass to get me visit places. thanks! you are wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your kids are already real world travelers!

I love the name of your blog, too :)

Jen said...

Beautiful photos! I have bookmarked your site! I can't wait to come back and visit it.

Cami said...

My mom grew up on Guam. Someday I should go there.

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.