Hamantaschen

March 4, 2009


Although I didn't grow up eating Jewish foods, they have quickly become some of my favorite comfort foods. Matzoh ball soup cures all, bagels and lox make any morning better, tender brisket, sweet kugel....all made with love, all so filling, all passed down through the generations. And hamantaschen seems to be the ultimate comfort dessert. Sweet dough lovingly shaped into triangles and filled with jam....like a big doughy hug from a favorite great aunt. My sister-in-law made the first hamantaschen I ever tasted and since that time I have been hooked. The kids and I made the first batch of the year to celebrate the upcoming holiday of Purium. We used the same recipe we use every year. The one that my sister-in-law shared with me. And I imagine it will be the same recipe that Noah and Camille will share with their kids. Comfort, family, tradition, and a very sweet treat. Happy Purim!

Here's a link to the recipe. We make the cookie dough one and use raspberry and apricot jam for our fillings.
Mom said...

Wish we were there to help eat those hamentaschen!
They look delicious!!

Heather said...

Those sound wonderful! My little prune-eater (Katy) would love the prune-based fillings. I'm tempted to try my hand...

Dawn Suzette said...

Yummy! Anything with jam is a hit around here!
Love recipes that are passed on... I have a few from Wes' grandma that we love! Thanks for the link!

Jessica said...

Oh I love Jewish food too! Unfortunately, I don't have a steady supply like you. ;) One of my favorite places to eat in San Diego was a Jewish deli--my mouth waters just thinking about it. Maybe I need to start getting recipes from you so I can make my own!

affectioknit said...

Those look delicious!

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Jessica, I am pretty sure I have been to the same deli in San Diego...it was good. And you should all try making hamantaschen....I am not a big baker but I am always able to make these with success.

Anonymous said...

Those sure do look yummy!

Jan

morninglight mama said...

Looks delicious!!

Sue said...

Oh my, these look fabulous! I can't wait to try them.

babies said...

thanks for the link. i haven't hard of these cookies before. all the varieties make them really special. i love it when a recipe comes with a story!

hannah said...

yum! those look absolutely delicious!

Anonymous said...

Geez... they look really lovely, hope they taste the same. :D
To be honest, i haven't tried it. Any recipe tips?

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.