First Pets: Triops

March 3, 2009



It's been a long time coming...pets. Noah has been begging for quite awhile, but with all of our traveling and moving we just haven't been able to make the commitment. Having grown up in the country surrounded by animals, it does make me sad that we don't have pets. One of the things Noah loves best about Louisiana is the chance to run with the dogs. He gets up at dawn with my parents' dogs and they spend the rest of the day running in the fields, rolling in mud, wrestling, and playing chase. Our new pets don't have quite the same nostalgic/furry appeal but they have produced quite a bit of excitement in our house today and they seem kinda cool in a prehistoric way. It all started with this book. And then I happened to stumble upon some triops eggs and today we started the process to "hatch" them (they are very tiny specks). I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that we will have some success. Anyone else out there have some cute little prehistoric pets hanging around your house? (and I don't mean roaches or silverfish). Any tips on triops?
Tara said...

We are waiting for warmer weather and then we are going to try aquasaurs -- again. We tried them in December, but no eggs hatched. Maybe it was too cold.
Tara

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Tara, We are keeping a lamp on during the hatching stage and hoping that will help. Aquasaurs sound interesting and a little scary.I'll have to check those out.

Ann said...

If Noah would like a dog fix....I have two very big dogs he can watch..that might cure him...LOL!!!

Heather said...

Oooh. These look cool. I've been promising Ben we'll get an aquarium set up this summer, but maybe this would be a fun way to start. I'll be interested to see how your project turns out. Honestly I'd never heard of triops before. If I haven't mentioned it before, your blog is a treasure trove of great ideas. (Like letterboxing--never heard of that before either, and can't wait for the weather to dry out a bit).

Tara said...

My son Owen would like to try triops- we have grown sea monkeys (brine shrimp) twice before- both successfully.

Good luck with your new pets!!

affectioknit said...

We've done the triops more than once. We are currently drying our sand to try for a second batch. I blogged a little about it here - http://affectioknit.blogspot.com/2009/02/triops.html Beware that they do eat each other as they grow, but apparently they lay eggs in the sand that if you dry it out and then re-hydrate will hatch later. Good Luck with yours.

Dawn Suzette said...

This sounds really intresting! I think that sign is great!

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.