Spring Fever

March 10, 2009

My to-do lists are getting out of hand. My dreams are anxious ones filled with deadlines, clutter, and airplanes. We have our orders (our paperwork) for moving to Sicily this summer. It's good to have the paperwork because it is confirmation that we really are moving to an island in the Mediterranean, but it also means that we have a lot to do! And yet I find myself ignoring the to-do lists because I seem to have developed a bad case of spring fever. The azaleas are in full bloom and more vibrant than in years past (perhaps our colder winter made them happier?). The oak trees are covered with their bright, neon green leaves. The dogwood trees are popping. The days are sunny and balmy. Spring has arrived and I feel sorry for those still in the midst of winter. And I find myself itching to get my hands dirty, but with our upcoming move I have to settle for weeding, working in the school garden, and hunting for gardening info/books/websites about Mediterranean gardening...dreaming about olive trees, fresh basil, and sun drying our own tomatoes.

In addition to the heady mix of spring flowers and spring weather, the recent time change has really set us all off track. Staying outside longer, eating dinner later, getting to bed too late, starting each day in a hurried race since we all woke up late...feels like we are off balance. So I keep ignoring the lists, filling vases (like this beautiful one made by my sister), running late, and nursing my spring fever (lazy, excited, and restless is quite a strange combo).
Dana said...

Perfect preparation for life in the Med!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Dana above!
And when you are in Sicily, you'll have dinner even later, go to bed even later, but start the day at exactly the same time because a nice long siesta in the scorcing hours of the afternoon will have taken care of some of your sleep needs!
Which part of Sicily are you moving to?

Sam said...

Wow! That's a big move! I'm assuming you've moved about before - part of life?

But,what a wonderful place to be moving to! Almost my neck-of-the-woods. (I wish!)
Best of luck with the lists :-)

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Thanks guys...I like your re-frame...preparing ourselves for European living! We'll be living outside of Catania.

Tara said...

I'm always willing to follow the rabbit trails and daydream too.... Spring has a way of turning our heads away from the necessary chores.

Sicily sounds wonderful!!

Tisra said...

Suffering from spring fever here, too! Sure beats winter doldrums and blues.

That vase is a knockout and so are the blooms.

And the thought of olive trees and sun dried tomatoes sounds LOVELY!

Tisra
adopting Dorothy from India
www.bdhq.net

babies said...

that sounds fabulous. just thinking about sicily would immedeately cure any spring fever of mine.

Jessica said...

Congrats on having those orders in hand! We are so excited for you guys (not to mention horribly jealous). :)

Heart Felt said...

Sounds like a wonderful adventure to organize....good luck! x

Anonymous said...

Green with envy on all accounts.

Heather said...

Congrats on having the papers in hand. One little step out of limbo, right? I'm so excited for you! And I can understand the fever, even though it's still mighty cold here, we had a beautiful sunshiny day today, and I'm starting seeds and clearing garden beds tomorrow! Good luck organizing your next big adventure. :)

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.