Passports

March 12, 2009

We took passport photos today...look at how much my babies have changed since their first passport photos (both taken when they were three months old). And speaking of change....when did passport photos become so expensive? $13 per set and we needed 2 sets for each of us (one for government passports and one for civilian passports). It adds up very quickly and it's an unpleasant reminder of all the costly details that seem to pop up every time we move.

I wish I had brought my camera with me today because I kept laughing as I watched the kids take their photos. Camille kept posing. Winking, shrugging her shoulders, plastering on cheesy smiles and moving her head just as the guy thought he had a perfect shot. Noah on the other hand was very serious and somber. Quite a contrast to his first set of passport photos. He was three months old and very wriggly. We were in a long line at Costco and the photographer kept instructing me to "sit him up and keep his head straight because both ears need to be in the frame". I kept trying to explain that he was only three months old and physically unable to sit up. We eventually got the shot with me holding him in a very awkward position against a white sheet.

But our most memorable passport experience happened a few days later when I took Noah with me to submit the photos and paperwork. Keep in mind Noah was only three months old. I was still in that hazy, sleep deprived state called new motherhood. I stumbled into the office thinking all I had to do was turn the paperwork in and then leave. Wrong. We had to wait in line and when it was our turn there was more paperwork to be filled out. Noah was starting to get fussy. And the very stern-looking passport agent did not seem happy to see us. It quickly became obvious that I could not fill out the paperwork with him in my arms. I was surprised when the agent offered to hold Noah so I could fill out the papers. All was suddenly quiet until the agent said: "Well, this must be a breast fed baby!". I looked up to see my son working his way around the woman's very well endowed chest!
katy said...

so sweet! Your daughter looks very pleased, indeed! They are even more expensive here - shockingly so! They also didn't want us to smile. all business :)

morninglight mama said...

Funny story! I, myself, am a pitiful 33 year old who has never gotten a passport because I've basically never traveled anywhere other than Canada and Jamaica, back in the day when an ID was all you needed!

Dawn Suzette said...

Oh, you made me laugh out loud! Dylan was 4 months when he got his first passport and your story brought back funny memories!
I was 5 when we went to Okinawa and I just love my passport from that age. I am happy my parents saved it! I hope we don't have to give them up when I get new ones for the kids here in Canada this summer.

Dana said...

Ahh. . the passport! Soon you'll have you very own Permesso di Soggiorno to accompany your passport. That, too, will require one of those lovely little passport photos of each of you.

Anonymous said...

the whole process of passport photos is now a breeze (and hassle free) with ePassportPhoto.com - worked out nicely for pennies for me

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness, too funny. I know that demanding nudge.....sounds like the lady handled it well. You have such a beautiful family.

craftymama said...

that is so cute!

babies said...

wow, they look like totally different people.

i'm looking forward to when my kids need a new identity card for the same reason. they were four and two months old when their photos were taken. i had my son with me when i had his younger sister's identitiy card made, and everybody was so kind to let us skip the line... i guess they were terrified of his screaming.

Corinne said...

Oh ho ho!!! that last story is fantastic :)

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.