Travel Photo Friday: Koinobori

May 1, 2009

Koinobori: Flying carp flags in honor of Children's Day in Japan. One of my favorite signs of spring. This photo was taken in Okinawa, Japan (2005). These are part of a small town's annual festival. An amazing collection of hundreds of koinobori flying over the water. I loved seeing these each spring, but I have even fonder memories from the first time I lived in Japan (1996). Living and teaching in rural Japan, I remember riding my bike through the countryside and admiring the koinobori flying in front of homes: so enchanting and festive.
amida said...

I have one of those carp flying outside my house year round. It's a very cheery addition to any household.

Amy @ The Q Family said...

I have never been to Japan but we watched a lot of Japanese shows growing up in Thailand. :)

On our DC by foot tour, the kids did pretty well. The whole tour is about 2 hours. It wasn't bad because the guide stopped at each spot long enough for you to rest and hear about interesting fact. However, my hubby had to carry Mr. Z who is 5 almost all the way. It's not because he can't walk. He just didn't want to. :)

-Amy @ The Q Family

Jessie V said...

beautiful! i love those carp and we have several. when i lived in japan, i loved seeing them.thanks for sharing this!

Cami said...

Oh, that looks amazing! Looks all underwater and backwards!

Peace said...

Those colourful kites are gorgeous and make a striking contrast to the calm blue skies above, great shot!

Amie from Ciao Bambino said...

What a fun and festive tradition. I'd love to see this in person ... beautiful!

Tara said...

Oh they must be just stunning to see in person!

marina villatoro said...

What a great tradition. Everyone has their own ways to celebrate momentous times of the year. Japan, has many different occasions, this is one I've never seen!
Photo Friday - Cano Island Revealed

wandermom said...

That's an awesome photo!

btw: thanks for putting my book on your shelfari bookshelf - I really appreciate the support :)

Dawn Suzette said...

I think I would be able to watch those for hours...
Thanks for sharing!
Have a great weekend!

South of Rome said...

I have (almost) the same photo! We have a big flag we bought there, but it's in a box for shipping out now. I did stitch one onto a blanket I'm making for my mom's b-day. Every family member gets a square. Mahlon's was the koi since he was born in Japan and Elizabeth has a Vespa for Italy ( I couldn't do a pizza!). Sayonara! K

Lucy Jane said...

The kids made a batch of butterflies. Huge hit. I posted only 'a' pic, but they plan to make tons more. thanks again.

Betsey said...

I was just thinking about this holiday in Japan. Loved it! Love this photo and the memories it brings back!

Dominique said...

It does almost look like you're underwater here. Fun photo!

Lorraine Akemann said...

What an enlightened school of fish! Agreed with the comments, I'd love to see these in person.

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.