Memorial Day 2009

May 25, 2009

Memorial Day will always have extra meaning to me. My father's funeral was on Memorial Day 2008. A fitting day to remember and mourn.

I gave the eulogy. I ended it by asking everyone to turn off their cell phones, turn off their gps systems, roll down their windows, and enjoy the journey as my dad had done so many times on those same country roads. We all gathered outside Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church and watched with tears as Adam, Noah, Michael, and my Aunt Claire climbed into my dad's favorite old green truck (1976 Dodge). The truck sputtered, coughed, and then roared to life. There was a collective celebratory yell and then
we each climbed into our separate cars to make the trip to the cemetery. 9 miles through the neon green rice fields that my dad loved to paint. Big clouds over the prairie. Birds flying through the fields. It was truly a morning that my dad would have loved.

My father was a Korean War Veteran. A patriotic man. A gentle, loving man. A man who would have felt very honored to have a military burial in a small Cajun cemetary overlooking his beloved rice fields.
Noah,Daddy, and Shadow standing on the edge of the fields. Summer 2004.
Mom said...

Beautifully said. I often find myself repeating your words about enjoying the journey to myself when life gets too hectic.

Dana said...

Beautiful post, Lucia. In your words I feel the connection you had with your father. Dana

Genie said...

Lovely post, Lucia. Just lovely.

Karen said...

It's good to remember. Thanks for sharing...

Dawn Suzette said...

Beautiful Lucia! Thanks so much for sharing this moment!

Tisra said...

I'm sure your heart is heavy over this year you've had without him, and thinking of what he has missed. Hugs to you! You certainly strike me as someone who enjoys the journey- though I didn't know him, I imagine your father would be proud.

morninglight mama said...

Nicely said. It sounds like you have so many beautiful memories of your dear father.

Mom2Isabel said...

Tears in my eyes.
Just beautiful.

holly b said...

sounds like a beautiful way to remember him.

Tara said...

Two posts that articulated my own feelings so well. I, too, gave the eulogy for my father's funeral, and it even mentioned Louisiana and rice (you may remember that he lived there for a while and I went to visit the places he talked about, near where you grew up). No green truck, though -- I love that. Also I tell my children that they each have their birth mother's eyes.
Tara in Florida

Corinne said...

You made me cry :) BEAUTIFUL images, I'm thinking of you :)

Lisa said...

What a beautiful man and a beautiful tribute. I am so sorry for your loss.

Were my father here
At dawn we would gaze
Over the green fields.
-by Issa after the loss of his father

Lisa

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.