Southern Roots

May 26, 2009

We have finally had some breaks from the rain and with that has come the discovery that our hydrangeas and gardenias have burst into bloom. One of the things I love most about our current home is our back yard. I love the big oaks that give us shade and remind me of my Louisiana roots. And I love the old established plants that remind me of both of my grandmothers and their love of gardening, Southern gardening: azaleas, hydrangeas, gardenias, caladiums, iron plants, magnolia and ferns. All staples of a traditional Southern garden. Blooming on schedule each year with their heady scents and their decadent blooms. Bringing up so many memories and linking generations together. I will be sad to leave these familiar scents and colors. They are a part of me and now a part of my children. Sappy, but true.

And here's one more thing. Noah will be graduating from Kindergarten tomorrow. Feeling very sentimental today. In awe of how quickly he is growing up before our eyes and so proud to be the mama to one very amazing monkey boy. And see those big blue eyes of his? Those are my blue eyes, but even more meaningful to me they are my father's eyes.
Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

congrats Noah!

I had the gals in my wedding carry hydrangias, they are one of my favorites :)

affectioknit said...

Sweet - congratulations to Noah!

The Solley Six said...

Wow, Noah is growing up! We always have these connections to our family, my mother's eyes, memory flowers, photographs and things we've said. It's amazing all the ways we stay connected to past generations.

morninglight mama said...

Your son is beautiful!! Enjoy the kindergarten celebration. :)

Colleen Lagarde said...

My favorite post thus far, Lucia. Noah is gorgeous by the way. Are you guys going to Florida this year?

Sue said...

I don't get to see many blue eyes - except in the mirror! He is one handsome boy. I can almost smell the gardenia!

Laurie said...

My magnolia is blooming big time now too...makes me smile. And those are some big, beautiful eyes on your oh so grown up little man! :0)

Dawn Suzette said...

Sooo Sooo Sweet... Noah and the flowers!
Love those memories connected to scent...
That was one thing that was missing when we moved. Nothing smelled right! I missed the smell of sage on a hot summer day...
Happy Day for Noah... enjoy!

Martha said...

I love hydrangeas. Here in Tuscany they are usually in big pots rather than in the ground. I have not figured out why. Big pots work out well allowing me to move them when we do. I moved cuttings from my house in VA to a friend's in NC. They wait for me to return.

Amy, Ryan, Aidan and Lauren said...

Great picture of Noah! We have hydrangeas here, too, but tbey don't bloom until summer.

lisa said...

We had a lilac bush in one of my childhood homes in Iowa-- when PC and I bought our first house, I took it as a sign we were meant to buy it because if too had a big lilac bush. I loved our house in Colorado because there was always something new springing up every few weeks (it had been professionally landscaped at some point before we bought it) daffodils, then hyacinths, then lilys....I love it-- it was like a little surprise every few weeks for a good part of the year.

For mother's day PC got me pink peonies- I never knew what a peony was until he got them, and those too reminded me of summer as a kid because it seems like everyone in the midwest had big peony bushes in their yard. I decided I heart peonies now because they remind me of summer days as a kid. :)

Last thing-- I too love hydrangeas because periwinkle is my very favorite color. :)

Amy @ The Q Family said...

Congratulation to Noah and you. :) Time sure flies by so fast. My youngest is ready to start Kindergarten this year.

The picture looks so amazing!

-Amy @ The Q Family

Corinne said...

What a huge day for both of you :) I LOVE the picture, by the way - the flowers AND the eyes? BANG!

Cami said...

Good luck with the graduation. And the flowers are beautiful!

craftymama said...

what a gorgeous guy! how was it?

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.