Napping House

March 2, 2008

Is it really bad to enjoy the fact that my son has a fever? Sounds terrible, but it is true. I don't like seeing him in pain, but when he has a fever he is so cuddly and snuggly. My normally very active monkey boy suddenly becomes my sweet baby again. Snuggled under the covers reading books and here's the kicker....for the last two days he has been taking naps. Yesterday our house truly was a napping house. Camille, Noah, and I all took three hour naps. And it was wonderful.

One of the many books we read yesterday was one of my favorite books as a child.It is a book that I have thought about through the years. I could see the images in my head but I could never remember the title and I hadn't been able to find it in the library. Until last week when my sister sent me a list of her favorite childhood books and there it was "The Marvelous Mud Washing Machine". I was able to track down the one copy at our library. A very well loved copy. And here's the thing...I loved reading it again with Noah and Camille, but I don't think it is a book I would have picked up on the children's shelves these days. It is a pretty simple book and the illustrations are just ok (although they mangaged to stay in my head all of these years). More than anything I think it is the premise of the book and the fact that I was so fascinated by the idea of a human washing machine in the middle of the woods. Noah loves it and keeps studying it. Makes me wonder what books my children will keep in their hearts and heads as they grow. What books will they want to read to their children that bring back memories of their childhoods? Will it be one of those books that drives me crazy, but I still read it to them because they love it? Will it be one that we all love to read together?
Amy, Ryan, Aidan and Lauren said...

Aidan is exactly the same way when sick! A couple of weeks ago, when we all had the flu, he started taking a nap every day, which he hasn't done for almost two years. The house was so quiet, and I got a couple of naps in, too! That's a neat story about the children's book, glad you were able to find it.

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.