Spaced Out

February 8, 2008

Today we drove to the beach in hopes of seeing the shuttle launch. Unfortunatedly, it was too cloudy to see anything, but we "might" have heard something. The other unfortunate thing was that just as I was getting ready to head out the door, Adam called to tell me he was getting deployed this summer. I spent the whole drive thinking about it. We knew it was probably going to happen, but it still isn't fun news to receive.

This news comes on the tail end of two weeks as a solo parent (Adam has been out of town for work). There have been some stressful moments (like having sick kids, and like last night when we went out to eat and I couldn't pay the bill because I left my wallet at home), there have been some really good moments (like letterboxing with Annie and Megan, and having donuts one morning with Ericka and Ben), but the most overwhelming feeling is pure exhaustion at the end of each day. Parenting is hard work and single parenting is especially hard work (I am in awe of single parents). I am not looking forward to six months of single parenting, but I know it will be ok. I know that we will have ups and downs. I know we will miss Adam desperatedly. Luckily, we have good friends and family to lean on for support and we will keep ourselves very busy with beach trips, picnics, and park adventures.

Being at the beach this afternoon was a good thing. It got me out of the house and out of my head. As soon as I heard the waves crashing and saw the kids running free on the beach, I felt less worried and sad about the deployment news. Noah and his buddy, Cole, had a great time running up and down the beach including the freezing water. Camille is not a big beach fan, but she eventually settled down and had a good time digging in the sand. I had a nice visit with Nisha and felt reassured that all will be fine. We are so lucky compared to so many other military families who have faced back to back deployments, injuries, and losses.
Anonymous said...

Sorry you have to go through that. If you decide on a road trip (who knows, you might become very adept at being a single mom for 6 months), head up to Atlanta. We'd love to meet you in person. I do wish you the best and I wish for Adam, safety and that he come home as soon as he can so you can be the family of 4 you are meant to be.

Jan
(Ansley, Judson, and Sawyer's mom)

Melissa said...

Ah, Lucia, that's gotta be difficult. At least he's not going for a few months... Know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. :)

Ann said...

Sorry to hear that Adam will be deployed. It's gotta be tough

Amy, Ryan, Aidan and Lauren said...

Sorry to hear that, Lucia. I hope the time passes quickly. You seem like a really strong person and I'm sure it will be hard but I know you'll do fine.

Laura Myszne said...

Hi Lucia, this is Laura, from Israel. I've been entering your site regularly since I came back from my visit at Judy and Syds' in December and I absolutely adore the way you write. Everytime I read your posts, I feel as if I were there living things with you. Now, that mom told me about Adam's deployment I couldn't hold myself and I decided it was time to write to you. Even if I only know you through your writing I can tell you are a strong loving woman. It takes lots of love, courage and energy to do all the wonderfull things you do in your everyday life and I'm sure that those same assets will be the ones to help you out through your single parenting experience. I wish you easy and enjoyable times to come.
Laura, another part-time single mother.

Kellie said...

I admire your attitude. Add my thoughts and prayers to the safety net.

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Thank you for all of the kind and supportive comments. I know that blogging will be one way to keep my sanity in the months ahead. Laura, how wonderful to hear from you. I will get your e-mail from Judi..perhaps our kids would enjoy being penpals.

Weasel said...

Lucia, I know you will treat this deployment as you seem to approach so many other things in life: with grace, and with strength, with smiles, and laughter, but mostly with a sense of adventure and eager learning.

They (you know The University of They) say that the woman of the home sets and controls the tone and atmosphere for the entire household. Seems so powerful, and yet so daunting..You already seem to have this mastered.

Yours is a great role model for other military families!! Our thoughts are with you.

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.