Pure Toddler

May 24, 2007


Camille is 18 months old and driving me crazy! This stage was also challenging for me with Noah, but with Camille it has been even more of a shock to my system. For so long she has been our sweet, mellow, happy eating baby but lately she spends her time yelling at me, throwing or spitting food at me, and crying in frustration and anger when I don't respond immediatedly or correctly to her demands. She is fiesty and very determined. Unlike Noah she is not as easily fooled or distracted. If she wants chocolate, she wants it and she wants it right now. I feel like I am now her personal short order cook. Placing what was her favorite food yesterday now turns into a daily game of "Guess Today's Favorite Food". We are entering a stage of extremes ranging from anger to pure exhileration. She is obsessed with jumping and a few days ago she was actually able to get herself a few inches off the ground. She was so excited! Today at the park she was screaming with glee while swinging and waving her arms in the air...so free of inhibition and so happy. She works so hard to keep up with Noah. Refusing to use sippy cups, only big cups like Noah. Wanting to feed herself with utensils. Her knees are covered with scabs from falling on bumpy sidewalks but getting up and continuing to chase Noah. Where can I order some toddler armor? or at least baby sized knee pads? She is a great bubble blower and loves being in water. Her favorite book is Sandra Boynton's "Moo Ba Lalala". She still loves to sleep with her two stuffed bunnies. And she melted my heart last week when she hugged me and said "lub you" for the first time. That makes up for all of the recent demands and bossing around in the kitchen. Hard to believe our Mei-Mei is growing up so quickly.
Anonymous said...

Lucia, I understand how you feel differently about parenting a girl and a boy. I always said that with boys, you can change their minds ... not so with girls. Good luck! Gerry LeBlanc

Jessica said...

Audrey likes "Moo, Baa, Lalala" too. What does Camille say at the end? When it says "It's quiet now what do you say?" Audrey used to say "Please" but she recently switched to saying "Thank you". Can you tell I'm constantly working on manners with her? ;)

I think some of that has to do with being the younger child. Audrey is still content with straw cups (whew!) and isn't trying to keep up with anyone else. But now I'm even more nervous about Hunter a year from now. EEK!

Mom said...

Isn't it amazing how one little "lub you" can undo a week of pulling your hair out! When I was raising Adam and Stacy and went through those impossible days, my friend Ann would always remind me that in the whole scheme of things this was a very short time and that before we knew what happened they'd be all grown up. You know what? She was so right!!!!

Amy, Ryan, Aidan and Lauren said...

What a cutie! 18 months to 2 years was a challenging time with Aidan, too, so I'm trying to enjoy Lauren's baby time as much as I can.

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate. I used be on my soapbox about what a great eater Nathan was and how he would eat anything and everything I put in front of him. Now he thinks Nilla wafers should make up every meal. Things he LOVED a month ago he scoffs at now. The oatmeal he couldnt get enough of yesterday now gets poured all over his tray. Hopefully this will pass quickly, or else he's going to be awfully hungry. ;)

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.