From Voles to Zombies

January 23, 2011

I thought voles were bad, but zombies in the garden are even worse! Several of you have asked about the vole situation. So here's the update. I wasn't able to get my hands on any chocolate laxatives (yet), but we did try chewing gum and that didn't seem to make any difference. The destruction continues. The holes are mutiplying. And yet, I spent the past week ignoring it all. 

Instead of ordering coyote urine or boiling vats of mint leaves to pour down the holes (that's another on-line suggestion), I spent every free second consumed with protecting a virtual garden from zombie attacks. I ignored my children. I ignored the laundry. I stayed up late and got up early intent on beating those creepy jerks. My neck hurt, my fingers cramped up, and my wrist started aching...who knew excessive screen time could have such negative physical consequences? All of this time I have been worried about the impact of too much screen time on my kids' brains and now I know from personal experience that there are physical ramifications to consider, too. I blame my friend Angi for getting me hooked on the stupid game of Plants v. Zombies. I lost an entire week of my life obsessed with pea shooting plants and when I finally completed all of the levels, I hooted, I hollered, I jumped around the house and made a victory phone call to Bulgaria. Here's to hoping I get the same level of satisfaction in the war against the voles. I'll keep you posted.
se7en said...

one word: tetris. and it has taken years off my life.

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Yes...I went through a tetris bout awhile back, too. I tend to get into these obsessed states and I then I burn myself out and avoid all screen games for months at a time. Reading seems to be a much safer obsession for me with less of the physical consequences :)

likeschocolate said...

Farmville and other facebook games have taken over my mothers life. If you need chocolate laxatives, I can send you some.

LindyLouMac said...

We are suffering with something eating our veggies as well!

Emily said...

If you can handle Plants vs. Zombies, you can handle anything! I say that knowingly, even though I've never played, because Chris is totally addicted--and those zombies DO pose a serious threat to that garden!

Heather said...

Good to know I'm not the only one who can get sucked into a silly game like that... And glad you're back with the living. ;)

Cami said...

HA! My son LOVES that game. I'm more of a Cut the Rope girl myself . . .

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.