Exploring: Oasi del Simeto

May 14, 2010

So to counteract my wallowing and wanting, here's a glimpse of what makes me feel better. We have spent the past two weekends exploring our very own local oasis: Oasi del Simeto. This nature reserve is a beautiful combination of marsh and beach that are home to all kinds of birds, frogs, snakes, and other interesting critters.There is a raised path leading to the beach which provides a good outlook for the surrounding marsh and a clear view of where the Simeto River meets the ocean. The beach is sandy and full of interesting driftwood (and sadly, some garbage, too). It is also the only place on the island to search for Sicilian amber or Simetite amber. So far, we haven't had luck in finding any of those amazing treasures, but we will keep searching. And did I mention the breathtaking views of Mount Etna? It is almost surreal to walk along with waves lapping at our feet, while Etna keeps watch from overhead... a microcosmic mix of all of favorite parts of Sicily, a snow globe filled with an active volcano, a beautiful beach, a Mediterranean sunset, and birds flying overhead.
Nancy said...

Wow, what an incredibly blue sky! My little guy *love* volcanoes and he would be asking to climb it all the time!

Good luck hunting amber! I had high hopes for finding sea glass at Monterey Bay (supposed to be good hunting) but didn't find much of anything.

House Mother said...

Just the possibility of finding amber on a beach is wonderful...happy treasure hunting.

I almost said 'sounds better than letterboxing' but I take it back ;)

boatbaby said...

Gorgeous photos, thank you for another fantastic virtual vacation!

Jocelyn said...

How fabulous that an oasis actually makes you feel as an oasis should.

Er, or something.

I adore your beach constructs--we do similar things along the shores of Lake Superior!

Theresa said...

I love the sand sculpture

okijeepgirl said...

wow, looks amazing. What a special place!

LindyLouMac said...

I would love to explore there myself, maybe one day.

Tara Holmes said...

No!! It's not too late to claim your soap! :) I'm actually making a new batch, so I'll send you one of those. Could you message me your mailing address by leaving it as a comment? (I'll not publish the comment as to keep your information private). And I'll get it out to you in about a week! I'm loving the giveaway thing myself and am starting a new project as soon as school is out so I can have another one! Tara :)

Rebecca said...

great photos, i love the second one - a lovely close up!

Unknown said...

I do love that beach and your photos bring back all of the memories from our day there awhile back. No better way to lift ones spirits than a day with your family on a beautiful beach!!!

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.