Time Traveling: St. Mary's City, Maryland

May 3, 2013



One rainy spring day, 3 busloads of fourth graders and their brave chaperones traveled back in time to visit St. Mary's City, Maryland's first capital. Despite the mud, the drizzle, and the noise that fourth graders can produce, it was a surprisingly pleasant day. In fact, I think I enjoyed our trip there even more than our trips to Jamestown and Williamsburg. It is a bit more remote so there weren't swarms of tourists, the staff/guides were excellent, and the whole place had a nice feel to it. Simple, authentic, and without any of the cheesiness or commercial aspects that some living history parks seem to have. As an anthropology student, I had some mixed feelings about this attempt to re-create snippets of time and culture, but as a parent those reservations were quickly tossed out the window. There is something so appealing to kids and adults of all ages about temporarily sneaking a peek back in time and when it is done well, it is really worth the trip. 

***It reminded me of our trip to Houston and how much we enjoyed the Fort Bend Museum and the George Ranch Historical Park.
Sonja said...

I agree - I think kids relate to living museums and costumes and exhibits. It's certainly a change from reading about history in textbooks.

andrea, passports and pushchairs said...

I used to love doing stuff like that, and can't wait to take my kids when they are older!

Ann said...

I recently went to something similar in the Netherlands. There they are referred to as Open Air Museums. I wasn't sure what to expect, but when done right and especially with smaller crowds, they are really nice. Something for everyone and very interactive.

I remember going to Sturbridge Village in MAssachusetts when I was a kid and I really enjoyed it. I think it's really hard to imagine what life could have been life, and this is probably the best way to make it real for them. I used to dream of creating a theme park that was set in the past and the guests would have to be in character and stay on-premises for like a week. Ah, childhood imagination!

likeschocolate said...

Love these kind of trips!

lightofworldphoto said...

I do enjoy a Living History places, especially with kids too. And I've found usually the re-enactors are pretty informative and into what they are doing which makes it fun.

Megan said...

wow! pretty pretty pictures! we go to living history "museums" every chance we get!

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.