Austrian Knitted Tree

January 12, 2012

 Spotted outside the Salzburg Museum: a tree wearing a cheerful hand-knit sweater! And apparently knitted trees aren't unique to Austria. Check out these colorful and cozy trees in Austin, New York, and Seattle. Have any near you?
likeschocolate said...

I haven't seen any around here. I think they are kind of cool and really like the ones in Seattle.

greenthumb said...

Not around here, but I saw a kiwi wearing leg warmers.

Emily said...

I love this! We don't have any knitted trees (that I've seen) here, but there are some tiny bird statues at the train station that've been sporting adorable hand-knitted shawls and hats this winter.

On an unrelated note, did you read about the Library Phantom in Edinburgh? Apparently a mysterious woman was leaving exquisite paper sculptures in museums and libraries all around the city. If you haven't seen them, google it. They're incredible!

The Jiu Jiu said...

I happened to come across an article about this just yesterday... Check out the topic "Yarn Bombing" on Wikipedia or Google and enjoy the pix!

Sonja said...

Haven't seen any except on-line. Pretty creative!

Emily M. said...

how funny--when i saw the photo, before reading your words, i was going to say Hey! We've got those here too! :)

arrowssentforth said...

What a small world... We have these in little Columbus, Indiana too! We call them Tree Cozies. I wrote about them for Visit Indiana last winter: http://www.in.gov/visitindiana/blog/index.php/2011/02/11/whimsy-in-winter-two-free-art-displays-in-columbus/

Di said...

Love it! Yarn bombing in style!

Jessica said...

So pretty! We saw one recently in Chicago that was fantastic!

Lisa said...

I've seen a couple of photos of these recently too. Do you think they last through the winter?

Terumi said...

I've seen some in Seattle and they totally amaze me-how do they get them on the trees?

Marina K. Villatoro said...

I haven’t seen any trees like that in my adventures through Latin America. Some of the countries in this side of the world don’t get that cold. But I bet it’d be fun to do one of these to decorate a tree.

craftymama said...

love it! an old (and by old I mean ex) neighbour of mine does amazing things with crochet
http://www.ccca.ca/artists/work_detail.html?languagePref=en&mkey=55217&title=Linden+in+Lace&artist=Janet+Morton&link_id=5793
she also covered a house down the street from ours with a giant knitted cozy!

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.