'Tis the Season

December 16, 2007

For cheesy Christmas movies and I LOVE it! I have always loved seasonal movies. I remember the thrill of anticipation as the time approached for the annual viewing of Frosty, Charlie Brown Christmas, and The Sound of Music. Times have changed. Kids no longer have the same level of anticipation now that we have DVDs, DVRs, and way too many choices. Remember when Rudolf was only shown one time, once a year? And if you missed it you had to wait until next year? I'll get off that soapbox and tell you about my addiction to cheesy, made-for-tv Christmas movies. I have always loved sappy, predictable movies. But my affinity for Christmas movies started when I was pregnant with Noah. While on bed-rest and then in the hospital for an extended stay, I became hooked on these movies. I cried, I laughed, and I couldn't get enough of them. Part of the reason was boredom, but the bigger reason was my need to be surrounded by happy endings and miracles. There were some scary moments during pregnancy and I desperately needed to believe that all would be ok. Christmas movies (and the entire Anne of Green Gables series) became my miracle drug. I have yet to see a Christmas movie that has a sad ending. And since that time I eagerly anticipate this time of year because I know I will be able to get my fix. Unlike childhood, there is no shortage of Christmas movies. I can turn on the tv anytime of day and find one. And with the recent tv writer strike, poor Adam has had his fill of Christmas movies, but I haven't. And if for some reason I can't find one on tv,then I just pull out Sound of Music. Yes, hypocritical of me to complain about modern convenience but when it comes to Christmas movies, I can not get enough.
Ann said...

I'm with you...I love them, especially the Charlie Brown movies...every time I see one coming on I can still hear my mom calling to me..."Ann...Charlie Brown's on". And to this day I watch every one!!

Sherry said...

Oh yes! Who doesnt love all those Christmas movies but unlike you Im a totally sucker for those "based-on-real-stories" Lifetime ones too! Hubby will see Lifetime at the bottom of the screen & just walk right out the room:) LOL!

Hope you guys are having a great holiday season!

holly said...

Hi Lucia! Holly from the Nook here. My sister Heather mentioned your blog and I've had fun reading your most recent posts.

Cheesy Christmas movies are the best! : ) My husband will even Tivo random ones that we'll watch together. My favorite last year was "The Christmas Card" or something from the Hallmark Channel.

Amy, Ryan, Aidan and Lauren said...

My favorite is The Sound of Music! I know it's not really a Christmas movie, but I definitely associate it with Christmas. I thought I might try playing the marionette (sp.?) scene for the kids this year.

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.