March 15, 2013

The Phillips Collection and Unwanted Company





They loudly studied the Luncheon of the Boating Party authoritatively swapping snippets of knowledge about the famous image. I exited, but then turned around and sneakily captured the view of the three of them perched on the lone bench...like noisy birds on a wire. I enjoyed the view more than I enjoyed their chatter. 

The Rothko room beckoned with its half lit jewel tones, but I only had a tiny slice of silence before the three ladies filled the room with their heavily perfumed opinions. 

"I have never understood Rothko" 
"Oh, I know what you mean. I don't understand how people find this peaceful or meditative."
" Well, what bothers me is that his work seems so static. His work never really evolved past these".

"Shut up!".  I shout it in my head, but what I really want to do is shout it out loud. Be quiet. Look. And look some more. 

The Phillips Collection
1600 21st Street, NW
Washington,DC 20009


***The Phillips Collection really is a wonderful place, especially if you are lucky enough to be viewing it on your own or with people you actually like. I like the size of the space, the story of the house and the collection, and the variety of pieces. And unlike, the ladies, I actually liked the Rothko room and the new wax room, too. Parking can be kind of a pain (but I think there is a public lot on Massachusetts). And there are plenty of tasty spots on Dupont Circle within easy walking distance. I am planning to head back for lunch and a second viewing with friends or I'd like to make it to one of their Sunday concerts in that fabulous music room.

2 comments:

Sonja said...

What can you do about party poopers such as these? They're everywhere. Usually sitting behind me at the movie theater.

Corinne said...

I do love it there!! I wish I'd been with you instead of those chatty ladies :) There's a metro stop right nearby, I think that's what I did.