The Phillips Collection and Unwanted Company

March 15, 2013





They loudly studied the Luncheon of the Boating Party authoritatively swapping snippets of knowledge about the famous image. I exited, but then turned around and sneakily captured the view of the three of them perched on the lone bench...like noisy birds on a wire. I enjoyed the view more than I enjoyed their chatter. 

The Rothko room beckoned with its half lit jewel tones, but I only had a tiny slice of silence before the three ladies filled the room with their heavily perfumed opinions. 

"I have never understood Rothko" 
"Oh, I know what you mean. I don't understand how people find this peaceful or meditative."
" Well, what bothers me is that his work seems so static. His work never really evolved past these".

"Shut up!".  I shout it in my head, but what I really want to do is shout it out loud. Be quiet. Look. And look some more. 

The Phillips Collection
1600 21st Street, NW
Washington,DC 20009


***The Phillips Collection really is a wonderful place, especially if you are lucky enough to be viewing it on your own or with people you actually like. I like the size of the space, the story of the house and the collection, and the variety of pieces. And unlike, the ladies, I actually liked the Rothko room and the new wax room, too. Parking can be kind of a pain (but I think there is a public lot on Massachusetts). And there are plenty of tasty spots on Dupont Circle within easy walking distance. I am planning to head back for lunch and a second viewing with friends or I'd like to make it to one of their Sunday concerts in that fabulous music room.
Sonja said...

What can you do about party poopers such as these? They're everywhere. Usually sitting behind me at the movie theater.

Corinne said...

I do love it there!! I wish I'd been with you instead of those chatty ladies :) There's a metro stop right nearby, I think that's what I did.

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.