Turkey Experiment 2009

November 26, 2009


It's Thanksgiving morning here in Sicily and I am getting ready to place the turkey in the oven. A frozen bone-in turkey breast. Yes, frozen. The USDA site and the Butterball site all assure me this is possible. It wasn't the original plan, but I am forging ahead in the spirit of the Pilgrims. Trying something new and hoping it will work out. The original plan was to go to an Agriturismo and have an Italian style feast. We convinced our friends to join us, found a good place, had the guys take a few extra days off, and started to daydream about not having to cook or clean dishes on Thanksgiving and the subsequent days. But then we discovered the Agriturismo doesn't do meals on Thursdays. So we changed our plans and talked ourselves into having a very easy meal. Seriously, I was thinking just turkey sandwiches and hanging out around the fire pit. But then while Noah and Camille were watching The Peanuts Thanksgiving episode, Noah leaned over to me and said "I'm so glad we are going to have a real Thanksgiving and not just popcorn and toast". Ugh. Which is why we decided to do the full Thanksgiving meal but slow cooker style...a turkey breast in the crock pot. No thawing, no checking. Sounded so easy until last night when I pulled out the crockpot and realized there was no way it was going to fit. The panic set in and I headed up and down our street in search of a crock pot big enough for our turkey. No luck. Which led me to start searching on-line for suggestions on roasting turkey breasts and that's where I discovered the possibility of roasting a turkey without thawing it first. And here I am at the crack of dawn putting a rock solid frozen turkey in the oven. I may not be domestic, but I am adventurous.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families. Hope you have a wonderful day and a delicious meal whether it be traditional or not (we may really be having popcorn and toast if the frozen experiment doesn't work!).
Sam said...

Good luck with your turkey, and Happy Thanksgiving :-)

Corinne said...

I'm sure it'll be great! A friend of mine JUST blogged that she tried cooking the turkey frozen, and she said it turned out GREAT!! So. Happy Thanksgiving :)

Dana said...

Good for Noah! I never understand you people who are willing to forgo Thanksgiving because of dishes! ;D Good for Noah!

morninglight mama said...

Yeah, we ate Boston Market, and it was delicious! :) (We also had friends over for chocolate fountain fun after dinner, which was even more delicious!!)

I can't wait to hear about the results of the frozen turkey fun!

Theresa said...

Hope you enjoyed Thanksgiving

craftymama said...

reminds me of how this year, as i was considering NOT sewing the Xmas jammies, Lee said, "remember the year you bought us jammies instead of sewing them? that was the worst!!" I sewed them. and i'm glad for the turkey tip.

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.