Good Friday

April 3, 2010

Good Friday in Enna, Sicily. Little girls dressed as nuns. Boys and men in hoods to hide their mourning faces. Walking in two lines, carrying lanterns and religious items, they make their way into the Cathedral. Mournful music. Crowded, cobble stone streets. Each group represented with a different color and different religious emblems. And as the sun goes down and the temperatures drop, the body of Christ and his weeping Mother exit the church on the shoulders of devoted men. The lanterns are lit and the procession winds its way back into the night. Easter week in Sicily is unforgettable.
House Mother said...

Such interesting photos of Good Friday in Sicily. I haven't taken many photos this week in Ireland because the ceremonies/events have been somber and I just wasn't comfortable using my camera. It's a very somber time. Not something I remember, at all, growing up in the States but I'm not Catholic, Irish, or Italian.

Thanks for sharing.

Partenope - aka Mr. Duncan said...

That is amazing.
Thank you for sharing the images.
I'm putting it on my list of places to visit near Easter.
Wow.

Dana said...

oh. . . that was me. . . using my husband's laptop. opps.

boatbaby said...

WOW, I have never seen anything like that! What an amazing place to witness the holiday. Thank you for sharing!

Laurie said...

Amazing. Thanks for sharing this incredible experience with all of us!

Mom2Isabel said...

I was immediately brought back to the time I was in Seville, Spain during Holy Week and similar hooded figures were processing down the street.

(A real shocker for my AA students who were unaware of the pre-KKK roots of this custom.)

Love all the images but especially the last one.

Cami said...

Wow. That looks incredible.

Heather Jacks said...

Beautiful photos! I am sorry to have missed this procession. Maybe next year.

jessiev said...

what gorgeous photos!! love them.

likeschocolate said...

That is a little scary, but very interesting to see how it is celebrated in Sicily.

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.