Butterflies

April 15, 2009

Butterflies everywhere. We couldn't keep up with all of the butterflies we saw last week at Washington Oaks State Park. Seriously overwhelmed by all of the color flying around us. And then when I downloaded the April Book of Days it added even more excitement to our butterfly frenzy. We spent most of yesterday stuck inside without electricity and blocked in by a big tree that fell across our street. While searching for food in the pantry that didn't require heating (wish we had a gas range) I discovered a big box of coffee filters. Set them on the table with a box of pastels, our butterfly books and watched these winged beauties emerge:
After creating the wings, we ventured outside to collect twigs for their bodies and attached them with hot glue. And this morning I discovered we are not alone in our butterfly love. Check out today's Crafty Crow which is bursting with butterfly creations and this amazing project. If you are looking for a good butterfly id chart, highly recommend finding one of these for your local area. Very handy and easy to take on any outing (we keep ours in the car).
Mom2Isabel said...

I just lov eWashington Oaks state park. My dear friend from St. Augustine was married there in the garden. I'll have to go visit with Isabel. She is all about butterflies (which she calls Monty... after the one names in an Angelina Ballerina episode.)
Love the idea of using coffee filters. (My one track mind only thinks FRENCH ROAST when I see them!)
Looking forward to getting together soon. Maybe this weekend???
Laureen

Blue Yonder said...

Oh my gosh!!! These are so amazingly cute!
Love love love!

Mom said...

They are so beautiful. I am continually amazed by your creative mind!!! Was there a storm that caused the tree to fall? We have had 2 hail storms within the last 2 weeks...very unusual for California in April.
Can't wait to see all of you next month!!

Tara said...

Your butterlies are beautiful! Very creative too. I need to look into the identification chart- our guide is really old....

Cami said...

I love these! I saw them on Flickr. SO fun.

Unknown said...

These are all beautiful! They look wonderful together. I love those butterfly pocket charts. I'll have to look for those for my area.

ps popped in from your flickr stream

Andrea said...

I love these--how beautiful and fun!

Lucy Jane said...

oh my at all the cuteness...I am totally going to do this with the kids... I have the exact coffee filters ALREADY!!

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.